Go to Kentucky.gov home page
Ohio County, Kentucky

Ohio County Park and RV Campground

Fort Hartford, located within the Ohio County Park & R.V. Campground.KY 69 North
Hartford, KY 42347
(270) 298-4466 – Office
(270) 298-4467 – Fax

E-mail:
park@ohiocounty.com

 

Hours:
Open 7 days a week, year round

Staff:
Susan Chinn - Park Director

Mary Ferguson - Office Secretary
Betty Rucker - Ass't Office Secretary

Please click on the following for Calendar of Events:

For more information, please call (270) 298-4466.

 MARCH 2014 PARK CALENDAR

April Park Calendar

Rates

Primitive:

$6.00 per night; $36.00 per week (7th day free).
(If you are tent camping and you want water and electric, rent
will be at the $17.00 per day rate).

Electric & water only:

$17.00 per night x 6 nights=$102.00;
2 wks=$204.00; 3 wks=$264.00;
4th week free (if paid in advance)

Electric & Water with Senior Discount (65 and up):

$15.00 per night x 6 nights=$90.00;
2 wks=$180.00; 3 wks=$240.00;
4th week free (if paid in advance)

Electric, water & sewer:

$21.00 per night x 6 nights=$126.00;
2 wks=$252.00; 3 wks=$312.00;
4th week free (if paid in advance)


50 Amp. Electric, Water & Sewer:

$22.00 per night x 6 nights=$132.00;
2 wks=$264.00; 3 wks=$324.00;
4th week free
(if paid in advance)

Dump Station, Non-Campers: $15.00

*Note: A $5.00 per day late fee will be
assessed if rent is not paid on time

Picnic Area Rental – call (270) 298-4466 to reserve and get rates.

Enjoy camping any day in the rough or at one of our hookups with electricity, water, dump station and sewers, (restrooms and showers). Or enjoy our playground, basketball and volleyball courts, golf putting greens and driving range, or shady picnic area. We also have nature trails for hikers, bikers, or horseback riding as well as Disk Golf.

Fort Hartford

Ohio County Park and R.V. Campground is located in Ohio County on 500 acres where there is a replica of Fort Hartford. The structure resembles the Fort which from 1782 to 1810 protected early settlers of Hartford from Indian attacks.

It is our understanding that Fort Hartford was used by the settlers only for protection when the Indians got riled. They didn’t live within the enclosure unless the Indians were on the warpath. At 80 feet by 100 feet, the original fort would have been too small for individual dwellings. We imagine it also was used for settlement meetings and as a marketplace.

The Park chose to construct the new fort on a scale of one and one-fourth as not to under whelm visitors. We consider it a replica of the original fort, but technically it isn’t. The Park wanted to build it a little larger so that it could be used for gatherings such as family reunions, and as a recreational area for lots of children.

At each of the rough-hewn log enclosure’s four corners is a small two-story blockhouse (or lookout). The first floor of two of these has modern restroom facilities.

Elevated plank walkways, accessible by stair steps or from the second floor of two of the lookouts, provide visitors with a panoramic view of the park and adjoining countryside.

An authentic two-room log cabin stands in the fort’s courtyard, surrounded by picnic tables. The cabin, believed to have been built in 1840, was moved log by log from Beech Grove, in neighboring McLean County and reconstructed in the park. It can be reserved for small meetings or picnicking.

A $20,000 Land and Water Conservation Grant from the National Park Service and $30,000 provided by the local citizenry were used to finance construction. Full and part-time park employees, assisted by community volunteers, built the fort.

The park is located off Kentucky 69 near the William H. Natcher Parkway (formerly the Green River Parkway) interchange outside Hartford.

 

Download Adobe
 

The document on this page is in Adobe Acrobat (.PDF) format.

Please click on the following link to download a free copy of Acrobat Reader.  

 

Last Updated 3/18/2014
Privacy | Security | Disclaimer | Accessibility Statement